Friday, February 1, 2013

Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad

I got this recipe off of Food52, a non-Paleo food blog.   It looked like a great way to change up Brussels sprouts, but I had to alter it to make it Paleo. 

http://food52.com/recipes/7650-shaved-brussels-sprout-salad-with-red-onion-lemon-and-pecorino

The original recipe: 

Serves 6



  • 1/2 small red onion
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 cups Brussels sprouts (use larger sprouts if possible)
  • 1/2 cup finely grated pecorino romano
  1. Soak the onion slices in a small bowl of cold water for 15 to 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, honey, mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Set aside.
  3. Trim all of the Brussels sprouts, cutting off any bruised outer leaves and slicing off a good portion of the hard root end. Using a mandoline, shave the sprouts one at a time. When you're done, use your fingers to gently separate the leaves so that the shredded sprouts resemble a very fine slaw.
  4. Put the sprouts in a serving bowl and toss gently with the onions (which you've now drained) and the dressing. Fold in the pecorino, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve immediately, before it starts to wilt! 



I obviously took out the cheese, but I added bacon and some warm bacon grease.  I also thinly sliced each Brussels sprout on a mandoline.   You can buy it already sliced in a bag at Trader Joe's.    I recommend. 

When I try it again, which I will, I'll blanch the Brussels sprouts first.  Drop them into boiling water for one minute, then take them out and run cold water over them immediately.  I generally prefer raw food like that blanched.  Personal taste.   


Crappy picture, but tasty food. 






David later added cheese because he truly thought it would make it better.  It did nothing.   The sprouts are too strong for the cheese.  It's a waste of a cheat, if you're so inclined. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh, you two are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the second day, I realize nuts would make it really good. I will definitely add nuts next time.

    ReplyDelete