Now, I'm on the hunt for more crockpot recipes. I tried this Mexican Chicken Stew last weekend. I cooked it for my coworkers (let it cook in the break room all day). It was a risk to serve something I haven't made before, and it was a hit! People weren't sure what to make of the cauliflower rice. They thought it was couscous. Hilarious.
I used chicken thighs (because that can only make it better, and they are cheaper). And, I would just do cilantro and lime to taste, because I like a lot.
(her picture, not mine).
I made it again at the beginning of the week, and it was a great meal to have around during a hectic week that included a traveling husband. And, it's all gone.
Crockpot Mexican Chicken Soup/Stew over Cilantro Lime “Rice”
For your crockpot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast
- ½ cup chicken broth (use a little more if you want it more “soupy”)
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, sliced or diced
- ½ (14 oz) jar of roasted red peppers
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed (just smash it was the side of a knife)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
For your cilantro rice
- 3-4 tablespoons cilantro, diced
- 1 head of cauliflower
- ½ lime, juiced squeezed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Pull out your hand dandy crockpot. People have been asking for more crockpot recipes so HEAR YA GO!!!! hooooooo ray!
- Literally throw all your crockpot ingredients into the crockpot. Mix around. Turn on high for 3.5-4 hours or until your chicken is shredable (is that a word?) with two forks. I love shredded meat.
- When your crockpot only has about 30 minutes to go, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Pull out a baking dish to prepare your cauliflower. Pull off all the leaves and cut off the stem, then dice your cauliflower into smaller florets and place in baking dish.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and salt. Put in oven and baking for 20-25 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Once the cauliflower is done cooking, grab your food processor with the shredding attachment. Add cauliflower and rice it up!
- Add riced cauliflower to a bowl. Chop your cilantro and add that right into your rice. Squeeze some lime juice over the top and mix together.
- Once your chicken is all cooked in your crockpot, take a fork and shred the chicken directly in the crockpot. Then pour ingredients over cauliflower rice. Slice an avocado and put that on top.